Strengthen Your Health by Simply Changing Which Foods You Eat First
Did you know the order in which you eat your food at a meal can influence your well-being? Surprisingly, which foods you eat first can affect blood sugar, energy levels, and other health factors.
Who knew? There really is a good reason for eating your dessert last, and it isn’t because your mom just wanted you to leave room in your stomach for the more important foods.
Putting the topic of dessert aside, you can strengthen your health by eating the foods in the main part of your meal in a certain order, too.
Consider this interesting study:
1. Background. A study from the Weill Cornell Medical College in New York focused on the order of food.
- Researchers gave the test subjects meals with the same foods, but in different orders.
- They tracked the impact of the meals on their blood sugar levels. They wanted to know if the order of the food as it was eaten would affect these levels.
- The test subjects had diabetes, but researchers mention the results can be useful for anyone who is interested in controlling blood sugar.
2. Meals. The meals consisted of bread, orange juice, chicken, salad, broccoli, and dressing.
- The food was the same throughout the study. The only difference was the order in which it was eaten.
- At each meal, each of the participants ate all of the food on their plate, so that the amount of food they consumed would be the same for each person.
- Afterward, the researchers measured the blood sugar level of each participant.
3. Study results. Blood sugar levels were lower in participants who ate the protein portion of the meal first.
- The study participants who had the chicken and salad first had lower insulin and glucose measurements.
- The study participants who ate the bread and orange juice first had higher levels.
Using the Results
Researchers hope that the study helps people understand how to organize their meals. You can start applying the study results to your own meals, whether you’re at home, work, or out at a restaurant.
It’s easy to eat your food in a different order:
- You simply eat the protein and vegetables first.
- Then, finish off by eating the carbohydrates and fruits. Although the study used orange juice, any drink with high levels of sugar can have a similar impact on your blood sugar levels.
It’s important to combine the foods on your plate for maximum nutrition and calories. You also want to choose food that doesn’t raise your blood sugar to dangerous levels.
Researchers recommend the combination of protein with carbohydrates in one meal. This combination will help maintain your blood sugar levels and prevent dangerous spikes.
Choose from these options for each meal:
- Include lean proteins and healthy fats, as these are important for your body.
- Limit starchy vegetables because they can raise your blood sugar to higher levels.
- Low-carbohydrate options are an important part of your meals as well.
It’s important to evaluate the food on your plate before you eat it. Ensure that you’ve included various food groups, including both protein and carbohydrates, at each meal. The order in which you eat each food has a dramatic impact on your health.
Featured Personal Development Ebook:
Contentment is the place where we don’t need anything. We’re completely satisfied as we are, as our life is.
Think of how many things you do each day in an effort to feel more content. You say or do things to impress others, you say or do things to avoid being ridiculed by others, you work at a job you don’t like so you can make more money to buy things you want or to impress others and, you exercise and diet beyond what is reasonable in order to look a certain way. The list is really endless. We spend a lot of our day trying to feel more content. However, these things aren’t the path to radical contentment.
In this guide, discover how compassion will free you, heal you, and will lead you to radical contentment.
You will receive the file/s below (in one ZIP file) for your personal use:
- Self-Acceptance (30-page PDF)
- Self-Acceptance (6-page PDF)
- 15 Ways to Have Your Best Year Ever (67 Slide Decks)
- 15 Ways to Have Your Best Year Ever (3 Slide Decks)
- Grayson the Go Getter Gopher Fable (4-page PDF)
- Top 5 Causes Behind Overeating and How to Avoid Them (3-page PDF)
View more gifts at PersonalDevelopment.