Do you consider yourself a conscientious person? Conscientiousness has been found to be one of the best predictors of success in life. Conscientiousness has two components: industriousness and orderliness.
It’s hard to overemphasize the impact of being conscientious. Think of the most successful people you know and consider the degree to which they have this important trait.
Use these strategies to enhance your conscientiousness and become more successful:
1. Create a schedule each evening for the following day. It’s hard to be conscientious if you don’t even know what to do. Create a plan each evening for the next day. There are calendar apps you can use on your cell phone, or you can use the paper and pencil method. Whatever works for you is fine.
- Make a list of the most important things you want to accomplish and make those a priority.
- Avoid over-scheduling. If you struggle to be productive, giving yourself an endless list of tasks and a rigid schedule is sure to end in disaster. Make it very easy to experience success. You can ramp up your efforts over time.
- Be gentle with yourself. You’ll have a few bad days where you fall back into your old habits and accomplish little. Commit to getting back on the horse.
2. Keep your house tidy. Use your schedule to set aside time to deal with your home. Schedule time to mop the kitchen, clean the toilets, and pick up the family room. The natural tendency of the world is to move toward disorder. You have to combat that natural phenomenon each day.
- Extend the same attention to your car, workspace, and yard. Get everything under control.
3. Develop routines. Routines are essentially habits. They are several behaviors strung together that require minimal thought on your part. You just do them. The less you have to think and fight with yourself, the more likely you’ll be successful at performing these actions. Effective routines lead to freedom and order.
- Have a morning and late evening routine to start. Get your day started on the right foot and end it in an effective manner as well.
- Develop routines for house cleaning and paying bills.
- Doing a little each day can be much more effective than doing a lot at once. It’s easier to accomplish, too.
4. Learn to complete tasks. Many of us are masters at starting something, only to leave it unfinished as we move on to something else. This habit creates chaos and results in a lack of progress. It takes determination and stamina to complete anything other than a bowl of potato chips. Be strong!
5. Be aware of how you waste time and take steps to avoid those traps. Time wasters are to be avoided! You already know how you waste time. Do your best to avoid engaging in those activities until your work is done for the day.
Conscientiousness is an important component of success. Aside from intelligence, it is the best predictor of success. Think of the most conscientious people you know and see what you can learn from them. Notice how neat and orderly their lives are. Also notice how life seems to go quite smoothly for them.
Improve your odds of success by taking control of your time and your life. Start by creating a daily schedule and add a little order to your life. You’ll be stunned by how quickly your life changes.
Thanks for reading this personal development article, “Enhance Your Conscientiousness and Success Will Follow“.
Featured Personal Development Ebook:
Most people don’t even have written goals because of a fear of failure. When you set a goal you’re defining success, but you’re also defining failure!
However, failure is a necessary part of success and successful living. Failure is a common result. It’s a lot more common than success. Failure is a short stop along the path to success. There is no significant success without a significant amount of failure, too.
Download this ebook now for more great details.
You will receive the file/s below (in one ZIP file) for your personal use:
- Fearless - How To Turn Failure Into Success (37-page PDF)
- Fearless - How To Turn Failure Into Success (6-page PDF)
- Top 10 Ways to Develop a Healthy Body Image (4-page PDF)
- Top 10 Ways to Develop a Healthy Body Image (54-Slide Deck)
- Self Esteem Assessment (2-page PDF)
- Time Management Worksheet (6-page PDF)
View more gifts at PersonalDevelopment.