Copy These 5 Communication Skills From Top Leaders
Do you struggle with communicating effectively? Communication is a key part of success at work or in other parts of your life. Top leaders have practiced and mastered the skills that enable them to communicate so well. Luckily, you too can learn these same skills!
Follow these strategies to practice essential communication skills:
1. Learn to listen. Top leaders know that listening is a crucial part of communication. Learn to love listening and engage in the stories of others.
- Try to really pay attention during a conversation instead of being distracted by your phone or other device. Have one conversation at a time to give each person your full attention.
- Practice retelling the person’s story in your mind to get better at listening.
- Everyone wants to be heard. Others will notice that you’re listening to them and will go away from your conversations thinking what a great communicator you are, when all you did was listen.
2. Avoid slang and informalities. It’s normal to use slang or other types of informal language while talking to friends or family. However, business usually requires a more formal language set. Pay attention to who you’re talking to and make the necessary adjustments.
- Slang, acronyms, and informalities can also make some people feel uncomfortable, especially if they’re not familiar with them.
[wpgfxm_contentbox width=”90%” bg_color=”#F1F8FB” b_color=”#C1D2D9″ style=”solid” top=”1px” right=”none” bottom=”1px” left=”none” radius=”0px”]
– by Thuli Madonsela –
More about this quote at
3. Focus on being brief. Top leaders know that you don’t have to make a long speech to be effective.
- Practice being brief and getting your point across with fewer words and less time. People appreciate brief conversations and respect others who don’t go off on tangents.
- However, ensure you’re still providing enough information while you talk. You don’t want to be vague or miss important details.
- This skill may take time to develop, so practice it often. The next time you have a conversation, try to get your point across with less talking. Try to summarize the important parts and only focus on them while you talk.
4. Pay attention to other’s emotions. When you talk, take note of how the other person is reacting. Words are powerful, and communication can affect people in many different ways.
- You may want to learn psychology to understand emotions better.
- Show sympathy and empathy when it’s appropriate during a conversation.
- Look at things from the other person’s point of view without criticism or judgment.
- One of the most important aspects of charisma is confidence, but not arrogance or self-righteousness. Confident communicators know their value and worth, but they’re also respectful of others.
- Another facet of charisma is optimism, and it’s also a big part of communication. Even if you’re having a difficult conversation, focus on something positive. Top leaders are good at finding the silver lining.
- Charismatic communicators are interesting, but they also share interesting information with others. They focus on innovation and new ideas that give people a spark.
You can learn to communicate more effectively by following these tips from top leaders. Practice these skills as often as possible. You’ll have many opportunities each day. Every time you have a conversation with anyone is an opportunity to practice a little more. And as you know, practice makes perfect!
Featured Personal Development Ebook:
On the other end of the spectrum, happiness, gratefulness, joy, relief, comfort and contentment are also emotional pieces we feel at times as we go throughout our lives. True happiness and emotional freedom is what all mankind strives for!
Mindfulness and meditation in general can help you handle your emotions, achieve lower stress levels, feel happier, and enjoy peace and satisfaction with your life.
Psychologists, counselors, and therapists the world over have recognized the power that mindfulness can bring to our lives if we choose it.
In this guide, you will learn how to reap the benefits of practicing mindfulness.
You will receive the file/s below (in one ZIP file) for your personal use:
+ MAIN EBOOK:
Discover the Power of Mindfulness Meditation (45-page PDF)
Discover the Power of Mindfulness Meditation Workbook (5-page PDF)
The Mindful 20-30 Challenge Tracking Chart (8-page PDF)
8 Lessons You Can Learn from Family Arguments (4-page PDF)
The-Fidgeting-Otter-Fable (4-page PDF)