We all know that we should think more positively. But, it’s not easy to change our thinking. Our thought processes quickly become habits that are challenging to change.
Affirmations are one way to take control of your thinking. Not only are you thinking something positive when you repeat an affirmation, but you’re also avoiding a negative thought at the same time. That’s progress!
You might think that you know all about affirmations, but many of the common assumptions are incorrect. There’s no point in wasting your time with affirmations that are doomed to fail. Educate yourself about affirmations before spending any time and energy on them.
The effective use of affirmations can have a positive effect on your thoughts and behavior.
Use these ideas to make the most of affirmations:
1. Understand the characteristics of an effective affirmation:
- The affirmation must be in the present tense, such as, “I eat healthy food each day.” A poor affirmation is: “I will eat healthy food each day.” That statement is in the future tense.
- An affirmation must be positive. “I don’t eat unhealthy food,” is an example of our same affirmation stated in the negative, which doesn’t work effectively either.
2. List your current weaknesses. The lower-rated areas of your life are dragging you down. It’s best to create affirmations that address your weaknesses. Make a list of what you consider to be your weaknesses as a first step.
- Which weakness is causing you the greatest trouble? Which one would you choose to turn around if you could?
3. Create 3-5 affirmations that address your greatest weakness. There are thousands of affirmations you can find online, or feel free to invent your own. Make a list and then choose a couple that give you the greatest emotional boost when you read them.
4. Avoid engaging in negative thought patterns. Negative thoughts undo your positive thoughts. It’s like baling water from a leaking boat. You can’t make real progress until you stop the leaks. When you notice you’re having a negative thought, stop yourself and repeat your affirmations to yourself.
5. Use your affirmations in different forms. Avoid just thinking your affirmations to yourself. There are many other options. Use them all. Cover all the bases and you’ll be more likely to experience success.
- Read them.
- Speak them aloud.
- Record and listen to them.
- Visualize yourself acting as if the affirmation were reality.
- Repeat them to yourself silently.
6. Use your affirmations throughout the day, but also use a schedule. Set aside five minutes, three times each day, to repeat your affirmations. You can do this during normal alone time in your life. You might repeat your affirmations in the shower, driving to work, your lunch break, driving home, or in bed at night.
7. Be prepared to change your behavior. Affirmations ultimately produce changes in your life when your behavior changes. Affirmations aren’t a form of magic, but they can change your focus and beliefs. Be ready to use those changes to facilitate changing your behavior.
Once you’ve addressed one weakness, move on to another. Everyone should have a
few affirmations in their pocket regardless of how successful and happy they may be. You can always enhance your life further.
Featured Personal Development Ebook:
There are key principles you can use to help direct your parenting journey with consistency, love, and structure.
Principle #1: We will discuss the importance of values and expectations in the household.
Principle #2: This section covers the importance of boundaries.
Principle #3: There are always consequences to our actions.
Principle #4: It is uncomfortable to allow our children to struggle.
Principle #5: When you have faith in your child’s ability, he will feel secure in taking risks.
Principle #6: Grateful people are joyful people.
Principle #7: Get active with your family.
Principle #8: Emotional stability and consistency is difficult to maintain.
These principles can provide a source of direction in the maze of parenting. Let’s explore these principles together in depth…
You will receive the file/s below (in one ZIP file) for your personal use:
+ Parenting Principles
- Include Main Ebook (80-page PDF), Worksheet (11-page PDF), Checklist (6-page PDF) Bonuses!
+ How the Pareto Principle Can Change Your Life
- In 4-page PDF, Slide Deck (54-page PDF)
View more gifts at PersonalDevelopment.