Public speaking is frightening for most of us. We don’t feel comfortable standing in front of a bunch of people and taking responsibility for all the attention we receive. However, public speaking skills are incredibly valuable.
Not only are you admired for being a good speaker, but it can also do amazing things for your career. When you can communicate effectively to a group, you become a highly-prized employee.
Use these tips and learn to speak effectively to a large group of people:
1. Be prepared. You’ll feel more confident and comfortable if you’re prepared. The best way to combat nervousness is to know your speech forwards and backwards.
- Give yourself enough time to prepare properly. Get organized and get started well before you have to speak.
2. Make the information more important than yourself. Understand that in most cases, people aren’t there to watch you. They are there for the information you’re providing. Focus on giving the best possible information. If you can do that, your worries about your speaking skills take a back seat.
3. Keep things simple. Amateur speakers try to cram too much information into too little time. There are charts, graphs, and other visual aids. Determine the most important facts you need to convey and focus on those.
- A well-prepared, simple speech that covers the critical information is better than a complicated speech with all the bells and whistles. A speech should be contained to the most relevant material.
4. Imagine you’re an audience member. Determine what your audience wants to get from your speech. Then ensure you deliver it. A speech at work regarding your department’s results isn’t the time for a jokes and humor. They’re also not interested in your storytelling skills. What they want are the relevant facts.
- Tailor your speech to your audience.
5. Record yourself. Set up a camera and record your performance. First, listen to it without watching yourself. How do you sound? Are there too many “umms” and awkward pauses? Take notes on how you can improve.
6. Visualize giving your speech. During those times just before falling asleep and just before getting out of bed, it’s easy to use your imagination. Imagine yourself giving your speech confidently and skillfully. Imagine the audience responding positively. Give yourself a positive emotional experience.
- Do that each evening and morning from now until you deliver your speech. It helps.
7. Spend some time researching and practicing your skills. There’s enough information on public speaking to keep you busy for the rest of your life. Check out YouTube or the local bookstore for information. You can also join a Toastmasters group, or five Toastmasters groups for that matter.
- Public speaking is a skill that can be developed rapidly if you put in the effort.
Public speaking might be scary, but it’s a highly valued skill. We admire confident, effective speakers, and good speaking skills are revered in the workplace. It can be well worth your time to hone your presentation skills.
Practice as much as you can and strive to constantly improve. Not many people make the effort to become better public speakers. A little work on your part can lift you above your peers.
Featured Personal Development Ebook:
Those who participate in healthy romantic relationships leave clues from which the rest of us can learn. These clues serve as key principles that can promote growth and understanding between both you and your partner. These clues help determine how to build a thriving relationship.
Learn about the qualities of a healthy relationship in order to incorporate them into your partnership.
Cultivate a lasting and loving relationship with the principles mentioned in this ebook which are discussed into subtopics:
1. Grow Together, Not Apart
2. Rules of Engagement
3. Four Paths to Intimacy
4. Mixing Finances with Romances
5. Catch Life’s Curveballs
... and many more.
You will receive the file/s below (in one ZIP file) for your personal use:
1. For the Love of Love - Seven Principles for Fostering a Healthy Relationship
- Include Main Ebook (62-page PDF), Worksheet (8-page PDF), Checklist (5-page PDF) Bonuses!
2. 11 Ways to Practice Mindfulness Without Meditating
- Include 4-page PDF, Slide Deck (67-page PDF)
3. The Earnest Elephant Fable (4-page PDF)
View more gifts at PersonalDevelopment.